The Old Market House was demolished and re-erected on the corner of Lynes Lane and became known as “Town House” 1868 The “New Town Hall” was opened. It was built by Mr John Morrant to replace the Market House and incorporated a corn exchange and a court room. The building was designed by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt and built by Messrs Bull & Son of Southampton in a French Classical style. The building was made of red brick with Bath stone dressings and featured a balcony and the Morant coat of arms was over the entrance.