The Old Market House was demolished and re-erected on the corner of Lynes Lane and became known as “Town House” 1868 The “New Town Hall” was opened. It was built by Mr John Morrant to replace the Market House and incorporated a corn exchange and a court room. The building was designed by Sir Matthew [...]
The building was converted for use as a cinema called the “Picture House” and eventually became the “Victoria” cinema.
The RMDS were using it at this time.
It was drastically modernised by architect Ernest S. Roberts, the owners were A. Austin of Pilkington’s Theatres with Barrington Lynham retained as manager. The mansard roof, the balcony and the original entrance were all done away with. The circle seating was added and the name changed to the Regal.
Ceased to be full time cinema when live shows were introduced, together with film performances.
Only operating one night a week as a cinema.
Status Quo, Dave Dee Beaky Mick and Tich, The Troggs, Edison Lighthouse, Unit 4 + 2, Amen Corner all played at the Regal during this period.
The cinema closed.
Building was used for an arcade of small shops with a squash club above and an Italian restaurant in the semi-basement below. The Shopping Centre was designed by local architect Mr Alun Brown of Plan & Site Services in Southampton Road, Ringwood.
The building was turned into a night club known as Route 42.